The Choice: Stand Or Sit

November 18, 2016

When Quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee on the sideline during the national anthem the question arose if people should stand during the anthem, but how does that affect us at school?

Kaepernick says he exercised his first amendment rights to bring awareness to social and racial issues. The first amendment in the United States Constitution grants the freedom of speech, press, assembly, religion, and the right to petition the government. Every morning the news show airs the pledge of allegiance, while some students stand others choose to sit.

“I do not participate in the the pledge of allegiance, and I have not since the eighth grade, because it wasn’t written for me. It means freedom but not for me, it means freedom for white males and it does not include people of color or women.”

Sophomore- Ethena Lighty

“Even as like a white male, I still feel like I’m not represented because I’m not the member of the class that owns most of our society.”

Junior- Ian Graybill

While some students sit during the pledge, some teachers require their students to stand.

“Here at Richland Northeast, they should be asked to stand because we are near our military base. A lot of students here have family who have sacrificed. So by standing up we are showing respect for them and that we do care and honor their service.”  

English Teacher- Stephanie Stone

Members of the military have their own personal opinions on Kaepernick kneeling during the anthem.

“Although I don’t always understand what he’s doing or agree with his opinion, I do respect it. I  mean that’s why I do my job, it’s for freedom of speech, and you give people that freedom to do what they will.  ”

Sergeant First Class- Scott Krause

Choosing to sit or stand is a personal right and Americans are able to have their own personal rights. In the end the choice is yours, do you choose to stand or do you choose to sit?