The Saber

Shell out! – Making the Most of your Prom Night

Elena Horton, Editor in Chief

Prom night, one of the most anticipated times of year, but easily one of the most expensive. According to al.com, on average a prom night for a girl can easily tally up to $570, while being $250 for guys. So, that begs the question: how can someone have fun on that special night whilst avoiding turning their pockets inside out?

When in doubt, borrow

On average, a prom dress alone goes for about $250. This isn’t even touching the high end $500, $600 end. But, there is another way to save money!

Remember, everyone has had a prom at some point in their life. And so there are plenty of close relatives who’re more than willing to lend a dress and/or tux. Of course, alterations may be needed, but an alteration alone can go from $10-30

Discounted!

It’s said that when buying a hotel room, buy it at least a few months earlier. So, why can’t the same be said for dresses? To get a good dress for cheap, it’s better to purchase the dress a few months ahead of season so there’s plenty of variety in both looks and prices.

There’s even some stores such as Ross who have a discount rack with beautiful dresses for prices as low as $30. Even for shoes, discount stores offer heels, flats and dress shoes for guys for a cheaper price than what can be offered at a high end store.

Nailed It!

Cosmetics is probably one of the more expensive things that can easily be supplemented. Instead of paying $50 for some hair you may or may not like, it’s better to simply do it at home or ask a friend or family member to do something for free. It’s also possible to get a cheaper style at a cosmetology class.

Nails on the other hand, you can get good gel polish for $5 at a beauty shop, or $10-20 at somewhere like Walmart and ask a family or friend, once again, to help you, rather than paying for a $50 treatment at a nail salon. As for makeup, which can cost around $35, there’s easily high quality products that can be bought for cheaper in drug stores and beauty shops, saving you at least $10 in the process.

Dining In?

Last but of course, not least: Dinner and transportation. Dinner by itself runs about ~$75, especially if a couple is attending somewhere like Olive Garden. Alternatively, the couple in question could go back to one person’s house, or instead eat at a low cost place. As for transportation, it’s easier to instead of renting a limo, just using a friend’s car or your own instead.

About the Writer
Elena Horton, Reporter

Elena Horton is an RNE senior and Editor in Chief of the Saber. She's involved with pride club and mock trial. Her favorite things to do are play video...