2018-2019 Teacher of the Year

https://youtu.be/6BlKeJYXCm4

Every year teachers elect a Teacher of the Year for the school. While it is tradition, and common knowledge that someone from the school will win, those elected say that it still comes as a surprise.

During the HOPE Assmebly in December of 2017, Desirae House was named the 2018-2019 teacher of the year at Richland Northeast High School. The announcement took her by surprise and the students, faculty and the staff were thrilled for her award and recognition.

“I really thought [that] it was going to go to a more veteran teacher but I feel honored to know that my colleagues voted for me,” House said.

House believes that building relationships and getting to know the student is the most important task that she fulfills in her classroom.

Aside from House building a relationship with her students in the classroom to keep them engaged, she also uses different interactive assignments. She mentioned that she uses task cards and gallery walks.

“She’s a great teacher. She gives us lessons that we can get up and be active with and she’s very nice and understanding,” junior Nadia Brown said.

House commented that she is honored to serve as Teacher of the Year and she is interested to see what comes next year.