RNE News

The Saber

RNE News

The Saber

RNE News

The Saber

Cavalier Classic Clash of the Classes beacons new competition

Student Government’s new annual basketball game.
Coach+Walter+Wilson+%28right%29+and+junior+MarkQuelle+Moser+argue+with+the+referee+before+the+tip+off.+The+teacher+side+won+the+first+possession.++
Sam Helman
Coach Walter Wilson (right) and junior Mark’Quelle Moser argue with the referee before the tip off. The teacher side won the first possession.

Student Government will hold the “Cavalier Classic Clash of the Classes” basketball game on March 15, during the fourth block. Tickets are $5 and are available in the Student Activities room. In the future, the event may become a tradition.

“So that’s going to start this year,” Regina Cherry, RNE’s Student Activities director said, “I want to start it off as an annual thing.”

Teams will be co-ed and have 10 players. Each grade level has a corresponding team, so four teams in total. First, the freshmen team will battle sophomores. Then, the juniors and seniors will play. Before the final round, there will be a five-minute halftime. Both winning teams from the previous rounds will play against each other in the final stage.

Money from ticket sales will finance a scholarship fund for seniors. Seniors can fill out an application for the scholarship. A scholarship board will comprise the parents of fallen RNE students and administration. Next week, a scholarship board will filter applications and choose the scholarship winner.

“We want to base it off of the students that we lost like Cam and Fahim,” Cherry said.

Cameron “Cam” La’Chambers Brice and Fahim Khalid were RNE students who passed away. At the May 28 senior assembly, the board will announce the scholarship winner. A female and male will win $1000 combined, $500 each.